fbpx
hamilton fountain
Photo credit www.nycgovparks.org

Another Alexander Hamilton's legacy is the Hamilton Fountain over at Riverside Park in the Upper West Side of the Manhattan borough of NYC . This fountain was named after his great grandson Robert Ray Hamilton (1984-1890) He graduated from Columbia College and Columbia Law School. After Hamilton’s death, executors of his estate and the City retained the esteemed architectural firm of Warren & Wetmore—whose more notable buildings include Grand Central Terminal, Chelsea Piers, and the Con Edison Tower—to design the fountain. An initial rendering, more limited in scope, was rejected by the City’s Art Commission, before the present design with its central eagle feature was approved and realized. 

Crafted from Tennessee marble, the lavishly carved fountain,

composed of separate masonry units, is surmounted by an eagle with wings spread, beneath which are decorative motifs, a coat of arms, a dolphins’ head spray feature, a shell-shaped spill basin, and a larger foliate catch basin. There is an upward-facing incised commemorative inscription, worn by time, on the front perimeter of the basin. The fountain stands at the center of a sidewalk plaza and is inserted into the 19th-century rustic retaining wall of the earliest portions of Riverside Park.

Created for “man and beast,” the fountain was evidently intended primarily as a drinking fountain for horses, and was erected during an era when the streets of Manhattan were frequented by thousands of horses on a daily basis, and equine transport was the principal means of conveying goods and people around the city. To satisfy the horses’ thirst, numerous watering fountains and troughs were installed along the city’s streets. Many were erected by humane societies such as the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA). In addition to fulfilling a necessary function of preserving the health of beasts of burden, these roadside fountains often exhibited a great degree of artistry in their design and ornamentation.

The decline of horse-drawn commercial vehicles resulted in the virtual elimination of these fountains by World War II. While the Hamilton Fountain survived, it fell into disrepair, was vandalized, and its plumbing ceased to function. For a period neighborhood volunteers maintained aquatic plants in the still water of the basin, and even koi swam here. In 2009 private donations to the Riverside Park Fund made possible the restoration of the fountain, including conservation of the ornamentation, installation of new electrical and plumbing service, repaving of the plaza with hexagonal blocks, and planting four serviceberry trees. The Riverside Park Fund has also established a maintenance fund to provide for the ongoing care of this significant historic monument.

Robert Ray Hamilton Fountain Details

  • Location: Riverside Drive at West 76th Street
  • Architect: Warren and Wetmore
  • Description: Fountain, topped with eagle
  • Materials: Tennessee marble
  • Dimensions: H: 11'5" W: 17'5" D: 10'2"
  • Cast: Circa 1906
  • Dedicated: 1906
  • Donor: Robert Ray Hamilton, by bequest
  • Inscription: BEQUEATHED TO THE CITY OF NEW YORK BY / ROBERT RAY HAMILTON"

Source: NYCGovParks.org

Hamilton Live! Book now

Loading...

about

The Travels

Gaining wisdom and confidence through fun experiential learning tours. The Travels LLC. has been a family run Tour Operator since 1990.

 

About Our Company

us 1
 

Contact Us

Email Address
Subject
Message

Search